With every version of Windows, installing the OS becomes easier and faster. For installing Windows Server 2012 R2, first of all we need to configure BIOS and then start booting to set up windows server. Following are the list of windows servers released by Microsoft between 1993 to 2016.
Preparing for Installation
Among the windows servers we prefer Windows Server 2012 R2 for installation and to setup Active Directory. All the releases after Window Server 2008 R2 support 64 bit based processor only. Minimum requirements and initial level tasks given by Microsoft for installing Windows Server 2012 R2 are as below.
Make sure that your system fulfils the minimum requirements as given below.
- Processor: 1.4 GHz
- Memory: 512 MB
- Available Disk Space: 32 GB
- Display: super VGA 800*600 monitor
- Disconnect uninterruptible power supply devices (UPS)
- Backup your data
- Disable antivirus
- Test RAM- use windows memory diagnostic tool
- Save the drivers in memory (HDD)
- On windows firewall (by default)
- Reboot the system
- While booting (before windows start loading) go into BIOS Configuration screen by hitting F1, F2, Del or ESC etc.
- Once you enter the BIOS configuration, please select BOOT
- Make your USB/DVD drive as Primary boot device and Exit.
Setup Windows Server 2012 from DVD/USB boot Drive:
1. Once booted from the USB/DVD drive, you should see Windows loading the necessary setup files.
2. In the Windows Setup dialog, set the language, time and currency format, keyboard and input method then press Next.
3. On the next screen, click Install now.
4. Enter product key. Some of the valid keys are –
Server Standard – D2N9P-3P6X9-2R39C-7RTCD-MDVJX or DBGBW-NPF86-BJVTX-K3WKJ-MTB6V
Server Datacenter – Y4TGP-NPTV9-HTC2H-7MGQ3-DV4TW
Server Essentials – K2XGM-NMBT3-2R6Q8-WF2FK-P36R2
5. Select the edition of Windows Server 2012 R2 that you want to install and click Next. You can choose to install with or without a GUI, and between the Standard and Datacenter editions. You may get 2 or 4 options depending on iso file.
6. Under License terms, check I accept the license terms and click Next.
7. Which type of installation do you want. Click Custom: Install Windows only (advanced) for fresh installation.
8. Where do you want to install Windows, select the drive and click Next. On this screen you can also create, delete and format partitions if required.
9. Now wait for Windows setup to copy and expand the files to disk.
10. The server will restart automatically and installation will continue further.
11. The final part of the procedure is to set a password for the local administrator account on the Settings screen, and then click Finish.
12. Now you can see the logon screen where you can press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to sign on using the local administrator account and password configured in the previous step.
13. After sing in you get the server screen as shown below where you can install Active directory and other services like DHCP, DNS etc.