Creating Windows Client/Server Bootable Disk:
There are basically 3 ways to create bootable drive.
- Microsoft’s official tool
- Using command prompt
- Using third party software’s
Before we start creating the bootable drive for Windows Server 2012 R2 we need the following –
- Windows Server 2012 R2.iso
- Drive Space of at least 8 GB ( The Windows Server 2012 R2 installation bits will not fit on a 4GB USB drive )
1. Microsoft’s Official Tool
Microsoft provided Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool also known by Windows USB/DVD download tool with window 7 release. This tool can be used to make bootable device in four steps for following windows OS either client or server.
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows 10
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 8
- Windows 7
Follow the Steps –
1. Download Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool from HERE
2. Choose ISO file: Run the tool and Click on the Browse button to select the ISO file. Click Next to go to step two.
3. Choose Media Type: USB device or DVD. In Step two, we need to decide whether we need to copy the windows server 2012 R2 installation files to a DVD disc or a USB stick
4. Select drive and Begin Copying: Select USB/DVD drive and click on Begin Copying.
5. Format and Create bootable Drive: After the last step it will ask to format the drive to make enough space. Click Yes to start formatting . After formatting it will start creating bootable DVD/USB device.
2. Using Command Prompt
Download 7-zip software or any unzipping tool before starting the process.
Follow the Steps –
1. Go to CMD in administrator mode
2. Type diskpart [to open disk management utility using command prompt]
As a result you will get a diskpart utility Window as shown below.
3. DISKPART> list disk [It will show the no of disks attached with your system. Here we have 2 drives: SSD and pen drive]
4. DISKPART> select disk X [your disk no X that is to make bootable]
5. DISKPART> clean
6. DISKPART> create partition primary [Create the bootable partition]
7. DISKPART> select partition 1 [Select the partition you just created]
8. DISKPART> active
9. DISKPART> format fs = ntfs [It Start formatting the selected disk]
After the formatting is completed go to step 10 and 11.
10. DISKPART> assign
11. Go to the location where windows server 2012 R2 ISO file is stored in your system –> Right click on it –> select 7-zip –> Select your DVD/USB drive and extract the ISO File.
3. Using Third Party Software
There are number of software’s available to make a bootable drive like: Rufus, PowerISO, Nero, UltraISO etc.
- Download REFUS
- Insert your DVD/USB Drive and run Rufus
- Tick on Create a bootable USB Drive and Select ISO Image option in front of it.
- Select the ISO file and Click on start.
Creating bootable USB drive is not possible with UltraISO so go for PowerISO.
- Start PowerISO in Admin Mode
- Insert USB Drive
- Go to Tools –> Click Create Bootable USB Drive
- Select ISO File
- Select USB drive to make it Bootable
- Select proper writing method –> USB-HDD (recommended)
- Click on Start
- Start Nero or other DVD-ROM burning software
- Go to File –> New
- DVD type –> DVD-ROM (boot)
- Select ISO Image file (from stored location> No. of sectors = 4
- Label tab –> Enter Volume label of DVD-ROM
- Burn DVD –> finalize DVD
- Click New –> Drag all files from windows server 2012 R2 DVD
- Recorder Menu –> Burn Compilation –> Burn